(as of Feb 21,2019 14:15:14 UTC – Details)
New Sixth Edition Now Available!
History & Tradition of Jazz is not just a story of jazz music and musicians, but the struggle to achieve, create, and invent for the sake of this musical art form. The publication features stories and legends of important events and people who shaped jazz history, while addressing how the music has been an important lightning rod for race issues.
History & Tradition of Jazz:
- Includes a four-month subscription to Napster, an online music service with access to over 32 million songs. In addition, the text contains written synopses on over 60 important recordings from classic to contemporary jazz. – providing interesting insights and information that assist in understanding the music and the recording artists.
- Describes how and why New Orleans, Chicago, Kansas City, and New York became important in the development of jazz.
- Features a new chapter on Jazz in the New Millennium. Topics include the emergence of electronic distribution of music and dwindling CD sales, globalization, technology in jazz, and the future of jazz.
- Introduces additional key figures such as Ken Burns, Norah Jones, Kurt Elling, and more.
- Includes expanded coverage on important jazz artists from the 21st century.